Wednesday 4 February 2015

Is it really a stupid question?

Breakwater and Ball - Digital Monochrome, Lee Johnson
On the Amateur Photographer website they have posted a new poll.  This week it is about monochrome photography and asks 'Would you be prepared to convert one of your cameras to black & white?'  Is this a silly question?

After doing my research I still believe that it could well be.  I've read several articles about how much better the monochrome image from a converted digital camera is from a colour image that has been converted.

First, I have to admit that I do love monochrome photography.  There is just something about it and in my head I know it doesn't make sense, after all I do not see objects, people or landscapes in black and white.  I see them in colour.  I am of an age that I remember watching TV in black and white.  Would I go back to those days?  Nope, not really.  I seriously think it's more of a nostalgia thing.

The Leica M Monochrom
Of course there is an exception to this.  That is when I shoot film.  I love processing my own film and although I'm told that C-41 is as easy as black and white, I'm still a bit reluctant to try it and of course I shoot colour film nearly as much as I shoot black and white film.

One of the options in the poll is 'No, I'm saving up for a Leica M Monochrom instead'.  This option does sort of make sense to me.  Why not have a camera that is dedicated to shoot just monochrome images?  Ok, if I were going to spend that much money on a camera and lenses I would probably be looking to invest in a Pentax 645z or a quality large format film camera and not a Leica but at first the sentiment was there.

Heptonstall - Shot on Ilford FP4+ and scanned, Lee Johnson
However, as I began thinking more and more about it I came to the conclusion that it is a bit of a silly question.  My DSLR, compacts and even my mobile phone cameras all have the option to shoot in black and white.  I also have the option to convert an image from colour to monochrome in Lightroom or Photoshop.  Same with film.  I could shoot a colour neg and either process in black and white chemistry or scan it and convert in Photoshop.

Perhaps a converted digital camera may shoot a monochrome image better than some of these options (I still think a negative and a nicely made print is more beautiful than any digital image) but for me, the quality I get using the techniques and equipment I have at my disposal are more than adequate for my needs.

If you are feeling brave you can convert a digital camera to a monochrome digital yourself.  Petapixel have an article here.


No comments:

Post a Comment